Choral poem by Yu. M. Butsko “Road complaints”: characteristic features of the implementation of poetic text in the musical composition
Goryunova Olga (2020)
"Choral poem by Yu. M. Butsko “Road complaints”: characteristic features of the implementation of poetic text in the musical composition ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia V : Voprosi istorii i teorii hristianskogo iskusstva
pp. 144-156 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturV202037.144-156
This article analyses for the fi rst time the choral poem “Road Complaints” (1999) by the outstanding Russian composer of the 20th — 21st centuries Yu. M. Butsko. The article focuses on the features of rendering the poetry of A. S. Pushkin in the musical composition. The embodiment of the artistic images of the poetic text is studied in detail at the level of the structures of the musical language, i.e. melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, texture, form. Particular attention is paid to the image of the road which is one of the key images in Pushkin’s poetry, symbolising the spiritual path and life of a person. The study allows one to call the choir poem “Road Complaints” a vivid example of the embodiment of Yurii Butsko’s lyrical and dramatical gift, which was revealed to the full during the 1990s.
Butsko, Pushkin, choral poem, creativity, music, poetry, artistic image
- Filatova N. (2009) “Bogoslovie v zvukakh: o khorovom tvorchestve Iuriia Butsko” [Theology of Sounds: On the Choral Works of Yurii Butsko], in Muzykal’noe iskusstvo i nauka v XXI veke: istoriia, teoriia, ispolnitel’stvo, pedagogika [Art of Music in the 21st Century: History, Theory, Performing, Pedagogy]. Astrakhan'. Pp. 71–76. (in Russian).
- Komissarzhevskii V. (1973) “Chitaia svitok vernyi”: novyi spektakl’ o Pushkine” [“Reading the Trustworthy Scroll”: A New Play about Pushkin]. Komsomol’skaia pravda, 4 (in Russian).
- Kozhinov V. (1978) Kniga o russkoi liricheskoi poezii XIX veka: razvitie stilia i zhanra [A Book o the Russian Lyrical Poetry of the 19th Century: Development of Style and Genre]. Moscow.
- Kuznetsov I. (2012) Polifoniia v russkoi muzyke XX veka [Polyphony in Russian Music of the 20th Century]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Levashov V. (2009) Pushkin i narodnaia mifologiia [Pushkin and Folk Mythology]. Chita (in Russian).
- Savenko S. (2019) “Ot ‘Noktiurnov’ do ‘Pugachevskogo bunta’” [From “Nocturnes” to “Pugachev’s Riot”]. Muzykal’naia zhizn’, 6, 70‒73 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Goryunova Olga Student status:
Graduate student; Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for Humanities; 6/1 Likhov pereulok, Moscow, 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0003-0423-2725