The prayer for the Caliph al-Ma’mun by Theodore Abu Qurra, bishop of Harran
Salimovskaya Anastasia (2020)
"The prayer for the Caliph al-Ma’mun by Theodore Abu Qurra, bishop of Harran ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia III : Filologiia
pp. 138-143 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturIII202065.138-143
This is a translation of a prayer for the Abbasid Caliph al-Ma’mun (813–833), attributed to Theodore Abu Qurra, Arab Orthodox bishop of Harran (ca. 750 — ca. 830) and composed in rhymed prose (saj‘). Although this text can be considered as a model of prayer for virtually any ruler, certain formulae suggest that the author was referring to the historical fi gure of al-Ma’mun. The text is of interest as a piece of evidence for al-Ma’mun’s popularity among Arab Christian authors who attempted to create his positive image in texts of various genres.
Theodore Abu Qurra, Caliph al-Ma’mun, Christian-Arabic literature, saj‘
- Atiya A. (1955) The Arabic manuscripts of Mount Sinai: A hand-list of the Arabic manuscripts and scrolls microfilmed at the Library of the Monastery of St. Catherine, Mount Sinai. Baltimore.
- Bertaina D. (2007) An Arabic account of Theodore Abu Qurra in debate at the court of Caliph al-Ma’mun: A study in Early Christian and Muslim literary dialogues. Washington.
- Davydenkov O. (2020) Bogoslovie Feodora Abu Qurry, episkopa Kharranskogo [Theology of Theodore Abu Qurra, Bishop of Harran]. Мoscow (in Russian).
- Davydenkov O. (ed.) (2020) Arabskie sochineniia Feodora Abu Qurry, episkopa Kharranskogo [Arabic works of Theodore Abu Qurra, Bishop of Harran]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Fil’shtinskii I. (2001) Istoriia arabov i khalifata (750–1517 gg.) [History of the Arabs and the Caliphate]. Мoscow (in Russian).
- Frantsouzoff S. (2013) “Chudo Bogoroditsy v Atribe: tekstologicheskie osobennosti i spetsifika soderzhaniia” [The Miracle of Theotokos in Atrib: textological peculiarities and specific features of the content]. Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. III: Filologiia, 35, p. 97–108 (in Russian).
- Frantsouzoff S. (ed.) (2013) “Bukharestskaia versiia Chuda Bogoroditsy v Atribe (po rukopisi B.A.R. MSs orientale 365 Biblioteki Rumynskoi akademii)” [Bucharest version of the Miracle of Theotokos in Atrib”]. Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. III: Filologiia, 35, pp. 133–142 (in Russian).
- Frantsouzoff S. (ed.) (2013) “Taibitskaia versiia Chuda Bogoroditsy v Atribe (po rukopisiam RNB Arab. n. s. 266 i Arab. n. s. 91)” [Al-Tayba version of the Miracle of Theotokos in Atrib]. Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. III: Filologiia, 35, p. 143–160 (in Russian).
- Lamoreaux J. (2009) “Theodore Abū Qurra”, in D. Thomas, B. Roggema (eds) Christian-Muslim relations: A bibliographical history, vol. 1. Leiden; Boston. P. 439–491.
- Rekaya M. (1991) “Al-Ma’mūn”, in Encyclopaedia of Islam: new edition, vol. 6, p. 331–339.
- Sourdel D. (1963) “La politique religieuse du Calife ‘Abbaside al-Ma’mun”. Revue des études islamiques, 30, pp. 27–48.
- Swanson M. (2003) “The Christian al-Ma’mūn tradition”, in D. Thomas (ed.) Christians at the heart of Islamic rule. Leiden; Boston. P. 63–92.
- Thomas D. (2007) “The Caliph al-Ma’mūn”, in D. Thomas, B. Roggema (eds) Christian-Muslim relations: A bibliographical history, vol. 1. Leiden; Boston. P. 582–584.
- Vasiliev A. (1942–1943) “The Life of St. Theodore of Edessa”. Byzantion, 16, p. 165–225.
Information about the author
Salimovskaya Anastasia Student status:
Master's Degree Student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University for the Humanities; 6/1 Likhov per., Moscow 127051, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-4547-5400