Formation of prerequisites for the renovationist schism among the liberal nobility and clergy of Orel guberniya in 1900–1917
Balyko Timofey (2020)
"Formation of prerequisites for the renovationist schism among the liberal nobility and clergy of Orel guberniya in 1900–1917 ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 94-107 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII202097.94-107
Based on the analysis of the periodicals of Orel guberniya of the early 20th century, as well as information on the public utterances of provincial public fi gures on the Church question in the pre-revolutionary period, the author reconstructs the process of formation of Renovationist schism among the liberal nobility and clergy of the province of Orel, trying to explain the presence of succession between the supporters of the reform of the Church in diff erent periods. The author also traces the emergence of ideas of Christian socialism in the province, which later became central to Soviet Renovationism. The study of the genesis of these ideas in the province during the period from the First Russian revolution to the February revolution makes it possible to understand the connection between religious and political factors in this dramatic period. When describing the events known to historians of the “Church revolution” of 1917 in Orel guberniya, the article draws on a unique material of personal origin, i.e. a detailed description of these events by one of the priests who was a participant and witness. The author of the article formulates his view on the processes of using the ideas of reforming the Church by various political parties from the Cadets to the Bolsheviks, finds a point of convergence of interests of those who fought for political power, and those who, being a certain stratum of the regional clergy, expressed their readiness to ensure the interests of the existing power, quickly changing their “patrons” if necessary. Moreover, attention is drawn to the facts of a rapid and radical change in the political position of certain representatives of Orel priesthood precisely during the implementation of serious revolutionary changes in the Russian state. The author was able to identify these names, specify them in the article and establish the diff erences between the schismatic element and those who really cared about the welfare of the Church.
A. A. Stakhovich, Cadets, Church Renovationism, Orel Guberniya, Christian socialism, revolution of 1905–1907, February Revolution, Church schism, Bishop Makarii (Gnevushev)
- Aronov D. (2013) “Pravovoe nasledie liberalnoi iusprudentsii Rossii kontsa XIX — nachala XX v. Problemy i perspektivy ispolzovaniia nasovremennom ėtape razvitiia rossiiskoi gosudarstvennosti” [Legacy of liberal jurisprudence in Russia of the late 19th — early 20th centuries. Problems and prospects of use at the modern stage of development of the Russian state]. Izvestiia vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Povolzhskiĭ region. Obshchestvennye nauki, 1 (25), p. 13–17 (in Russian).
- Balakshina Iu. (2015) Bratstvo revnitelei tserkovnogo obnovleniia (gruppa «32-kh» peterburgskikh sviashchennikov), 1903–1907 [Brotherhood of zealots of Church renewal (a group of “32” St. Petersburg priests), 1903–1907]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Bendin A. (2010) “Svoboda sovesti ili veroterpimost?: polemika v Rossiiskoi pechati (nachalo XX veka)” [Freedom of conscience or religious tolerance?: Polemics in the Russian press (the beginning of the 20th century)]. Novyi istoricheskii vestnik, 24, p. 5–14 (in Russian).
- Briantsev M. (2017) “Formirovanie komitetov obshchestvennoi bezopasnosti v Orlovskoĭ gubernii v marte 1917 g.” [Formation of public security committees in Orel Guberniya in March 1917], in Pravo i gosudarstvo: problemy metodologii, teorii i istorii. Materialy VI Vserossiiskoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii [Law and state: problems of methodology, theory and history. Materials of the 6th all-Russian scientifi c and practical conference], p. 3–8. Krasnodar (in Russian).
- Firsov S. (2002) Russkaia tserkov nakanune peremen: Konets 1890–1918 gg.) [Russian Church on the eve of changes: Late 1890s — 1918)]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Friz G. (2019) “«Votserkovlenie» 1917 goda: tserkovnyi krizis i prikhodskaia revoliutsiia” [“Votserkovlenie” 1917: ecclesiastical crisis and parish revolution]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov v Rossii i za rubezhom, 1–2, p. 30–57 (in Russian).
- Ivanov V. (2009) Neizvestnyi Polikarpov [Unknown Polikarpov]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kabytov P. (2011) “P. A. Stolypin i treteiiunskaia monarkhia” [P. A. Stolypin and the 3-June monarchy]. Izvestiia Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiiskoi akademii nauk, 13, 3 (2), p. 386–390 (in Russian).
- Kurbenkov V., Kulazhnikov V. (2014) “Khristianstvo i sotsializm v kontse ХIХ i nachale ХХ vekov v kontekste kritiki sotsialisticheskoi ideologii” [Christianity and socialism in the late ХIХ and early ХХ centuries in the context of criticism of socialist ideology]. Nauka i sovremennost, 1 (1), p. 52–59 (in Russian).
- Lobanov V. (2019) “«Obnovlencheskii» raskol v Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi (1922–1946 gg.)” [“Renovationist” schism in the Russian Orthodox Church (1922–1946)]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Matveeva E. (2014) Osobennosti tserkovnogo sudoproizvodstva v Rossii vo II polovine ХIХ veka (na materialakh Orlovskoi eparkhii) [Features of Church legal proceedings in Russia in the second half of the XIX century (on the materials of Oryol diocese)]. Iuridicheskie zapiski, 1, p. 143–152 (in Russian).
- Orekhanov G., priest (2002) Na puti k Soboru. Tserkovnye reformy i pervaia russkaia revoliutsiia [On the way to the Council. Church reforms and the fi rst Russian revolution]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Rogoznyi P. (2008) Tserkovnaia revoliutsiia 1917 goda [Church revolution of 1917]. St Petersburg (in Russian).
- Shakhmalov Sh. (2010) “Osobennosti ideino-politicheskikh i programmnykh ustanovok kadetov” [Peculiarities of the ideological and political and policies of the cadets]. Vlast, 11, pp. 81–84 (in Russian).
- Shkarovskii M. (1999) Obnovlencheskoe dvizhenie v Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi XX veka [The Renovationist movement in the Russian Orthodox Church of the XX century]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Stepanova E. (2010) “Klir i miriane na prikhode RPTs v nachale ХХ veka (po materialam «Otzyvov eparchial’nykh arkhiereev po voprosu o tserkovnoĭ reforme»)” [Clergy and laity in the parish of the Russian Orthodox Church in the early twentieth century (based on the materials of «Reviews of diocesan bishops on the issue of Church reform»)] Svet Khristov prosveshchaet vsekh: Almanakh Sviato-Filaretovskogo pravoslavno-khristianskogo instituta, 2, p. 69–81 (in Russian).
- Titlinov B. (1923) Novaia Tserkov [New Church]. Petrograd; Moscow (in Russian).
- Titlinov B. (1926) Smysl obnovlencheskogo dvizheniia v istorii [The meaning of the renewal movement in history]. Samara (in Russian).
- Vorontsova I. (2018) “Sviashchennik G. S. Petrov i ego «delo»: protsess nad tserkovnym publitsistom 1906–1907 gg.” [Priest G. S. Petrov and his «case»: the trial of a Church publicist 1906–1907]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 85, р. 11–29 (in Russian).
- Vostrikova V. (2010) “Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Stakhovich: «…dlia nas khorosh tolko put legalnyi»” [Alexander Alexandrovich Stakhovich: “...for us, only the legal path is good”], in Kara-Murza A. (ed.) Orlovskie liberaly: liudi, sobytiia, epokha [Orel liberals: people, events, epoch], p. 80–89. Orel (in Russian).
Information about the author
Balyko Timofey Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
St. Tikhon’s Orthodox University; 23b, Novokuznetskaya st., Moscow 115184, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0001-6577-4320
Professor, priest Alexander Mazyrin