The Church in the system of formation of power institutions of the voluntary movement in the South of Russia: peculiarities of establishing the Black sea diocese in 1918‒1919
Kiyashko Nikita (2019)
"The Church in the system of formation of power institutions of the voluntary movement in the South of Russia: peculiarities of establishing the Black sea diocese in 1918‒1919 ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 92-104 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201991.92-104
This article analyses the reasons for the administrative and territorial transformations of the southern dioceses after the February revolution of 1917 in the context of the internal policy of the government in the Southern Russia. With the active support of A. I. Denikin, who was interested in strengthening church life, the reform had a signifi cant infl uence on the change of the position of the church and led to establishing independent dioceses which were united under the Temporary Supreme Church Administration of Southern Russia. The city of Novorossiysk came to be prominent as one of the centres of the Voluntary Movement, while relations with the socialist government of Abkhasia deteriorated. With this background, the region acquired independence of the church, and a separate Black Sea diocese was established, which corresponded well not only with Denikin’s policy, but also with the actual needs of the population of the region. The formation of a new administrative and church landscape not only intensifi ed church activities, but also provided grounds for the future southern dioceses.
Russian Orthodox Church, Civil War, Church Council in Stavropol of 1919, Temporary Higher Church Administration, Black Sea diocese, dioceses of the South of Russia
- Biriukova Iu. (2016) “Russkaia Pravoslavnaia Tserkov’ na Iuge Rossii v usloviiakh Grazhdanskoi voiny: Problemy adaptatsii k novym politicheskim usloviiam” [Russian Orthodox Church in the South of Russia under the Circumstances of the Civil War: Problems of Adaptation to the New Historical Conditions], in Iug Rossii i sopredel’nye strany v voinakh i vooruzhennykh konfl iktakh: Materialy Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. Federal’noe agentstvo nauchnykh organizatsii, Rossiiskaia akademiia nauk, Iuzhnyi nauchnyi tsentr, Institut sotsial’no-ekonomicheskikh i gumanitarnykh issledovanii [South of Russia and Bordering Countries in Wars and Miltary Confl icts. Proceedings of an All-Russian Conference with International Participation. Federal Agency of Academic Institutions, Russian Academy of Sciences, Southern Research Centre, Institute of Social, Economic, and Humanities-Related Studies]. Pp. 434–441 (in Russian).
- Biriukova Iu. (2017) “Iugo-Vostochnyi russkii tserkovnyi Sobor 1919 g. v dokumentakh gosudarstvennogo arkhiva Rossiiskoi Federatsii” [South-Eastern Russian Church Council of 1919 in Documents of the State Archive of the Russian Federation]. Gumanitarnye i sotsial’noekonomicheskie nauki, 4 (95), pp. 105–110 (in Russian).
- Biriukova Iu. (2017) “Iugo-Vostochnyi russkii tserkovnyi Sobor 1919 g.: poriadok raboty i protsedura priniatiia reshenii v svete dokumental’nogo naslediia” [South-Eastern Russian Church Council of 1919: Order of Operation and the Procedure of Taking Decisions in the Light of the Documentary Legacy]. Gumanitarnye i sotsial’no-ekonomicheskie nauki, 5 (96), pp. 80–84 (in Russian).
- Biriukova Iu. (ed.) (2018) Iugo-Vostochnyi Russkii Tserkovnyi Sobor 1919 goda [South-Eastern Russian Church Council of 1919]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Biriukova Iu., Kiiashko N.(2018) “Administrativno-territorial’naia reforma iuzhnykh eparkhii Rossii v period Grazhdanskoi voiny” [Administrative and Territorial Reform in Southern Dioceses of Russia in the Period of the Civil War]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia II: Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoi Pravoslavnoi Tserkvi, 85, pp. 73‒88 (in Russian).
- Filimonov A. (2004) “Razgrom Kubanskoi rady (1919 g.)” [Rout of Kubanskaya Rada (1919)], in A. Shkuro. Grazhdanskaia voina v Rossii: Zapiski belogo partizana [Civil War in Russia: White Partisan’s Notebook]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Kiiashko N. (2015) “Osobennosti eparkhial’nogo upravleniia i tserkovnoi zhizni na Kubani v 1919 godu” [Characteristic Features of Diocesan Administration in Church Life of Kuban’ Region in 1919]. Voprosy iuzhnorossiiskoi istorii: nauchnyi sbornik, 19. Armavir. Pp. 179‒191 (in Russian).
- Kiiashko N. (2016) “Eparkhial’naia vlast’ na Kubani i Chernomor’e v usloviiakh Grazhdanskoi voiny (1918‒1920 gg.)” [Diocesan Authorities in Kuban’ and Black Sea Regions during the Civil War (1918‒1919)], in G. Matishov (ed.) Iug Rossii i sopredel’nye strany v voinakh i vooruzhennykh konfliktakh: materialy Vserossiiskoi nauchnoi konferentsii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem (Rostov-na-Donu, 22‒25 iiunia 2016 g.) [South of Russia and Bordering Countries in Wars and Miltary Confl icts. Proceedings of an All-Russian Conference with International Participation. Rostov-na-Donu, 22‒25 June 2016]. Rostov-na-Donu. Pp. 448‒455 (in Russian).
- Kiiashko N. (2016) “Sotsiokul’turnaia deiatel’nost’ prikhodskikh obshchestv i bratstv Kubani: praktiki perioda Grazhdanskoi voiny” [Sociocultural Work of Diocesan Societies and Brotherhoods of Kuban’ Region: Practices from the Period of the Civil War], in «Zhelavshii istinno slavy Otechestva svoego…»: materialy XII Mezhdunarodnykh Dvorianskikh chtenii [“He who Truly Sought the Glory for his Motherland...”. Proceedings of the 12th International Readings of the Gentry]. Krasnodar. Pp. 225‒234 (in Russian).
- Kiiashko N. (2018) “Dokumenty Rossiiskikh arkhivov po istorii Russkoi Tserkvi na Iuge Rossii v 1918‒1920 gg.” [Documents of Russian Archives on the History of Russian Church in the South of Russia in 1918‒1920]. Otechestvennye arkhivy, 4, pp. 52‒59 (in Russian).
Information about the author
Kiyashko Nikita Place of work:
Ekaterinodar Diocese; 66-1 Chernomorskaya Str., Ilskiy 353230, Krasnodar Region, Russian Federation; Post:
Secretary ,Commission for Canonisation of Saints; ORCID: 0000-0001-7415-2603