Religious education in the years of the great reforms with Voronezh diocesan girl’s college as an example
Grechushkin Dmitriy (2019)
"Religious education in the years of the great reforms with Voronezh diocesan girl’s college as an example ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia II : Istoriia. Istoriia Russkoy Pravoslavnoy Tserkvi
pp. 47-60 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturII201991.47-60
The issue of improving education of the clergy by the mid-19th century was raised not only in state and synodal institutions, but was also vividly discussed in secular and church-related press. The great reforms undertaken by emperor Alexander II implied qualitative changes in the system of education of the clergy and their children. The new statute of theological seminaries and colleges of 1867 was very positively evaluated by the clergy and teachers, the main reason for which was the increased funding of educational institutions. However, despite the eff orts of the state to strengthen and modernise religious education, seminaries and colleges were in the acute need of suffi cient fi nancial support, whereas the state was not able to provide it under the current circumstances. This article aims to show how religious education was developing in the period of domestic reforms with Voronezh diocesan girls’ college. It studies the work of priests and laymen of Voronezh diocese in organising the diocesan college for girls in 1865 as well as the education process and everyday life of the fi rst dicesan educational institution for daughters of the clergy in the 1860s and 1870s. Using archival data, periodicals and published sources, the article describes the performance of the students, regulations of their everyday life, traits of their religious and moral state. A prominent event which demonstrated positive material change in the girls’ college was the construction and consecration of the house church with the acquisition of all necessary utensils. The article concludes that the changes that took place in religious education in the course of the reforms had undoubtedly positive results, but the liberal character of the changes had created grounds for the future systemic problems.
Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Empire, Great Reforms, Voronezh and Zadonsk diocese, diocesan school for girls, religious education
- Dneprov E., Usacheva R. (2009) Zhenskoe obrazovanie v Rossii [Women’s Education in Russia]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Ikonnikov S. (2014) Prikhodskoe dukhovenstvo Voronezhskoi eparkhii (vtoraia polovina XIX — nachalo XX veka) [Parish Clergy of Voronezh Diocese (2nd Half of the 19th — Early 20th Centuries)]. Voronezh (in Russian).
- Mramornov A. (2007) Dukhovnaia seminariia Rossii nachala XX veka: krizis i vozmozhnosti ego preodoleniia (na saratovskikh materialakh) [Theological Seminary in Russia of the Early 20th Century: the Crisis and Means to Overcome it (with materials from Saratov as an example)]. Saratov (in Russian).
- Nikol’skii P. (2011) Istoriia Voronezhskoi dukhovnoi seminarii [History of Voronezh Theological Seminary]. Voronezh (in Russian).
- Pyl’nev Iu., Rogachev S. (1999) Istoriia shkoly i narodnogo prosveshcheniia Voronezhskogo kraia. XVIII — nachalo XX veka [History of School and People’s Education of Voronezh Region 18th — Early 18th Centuries)]. Voronezh (in Russian).
- Rimskii S. (1999) Rossiiskaia Tserkov’ v epokhu Velikikh reform. Tserkovnye reformy v Rossii 1860‒1870-kh godov [Russian Church in the Epoch of the Great Reforms. Church Reforms in Russia in the 1860s — 1870s]. Moskva (in Russian).
- Smirnov V. (1954) Reforma nachal’noi i srednei shkoly v 60-kh godakh XIX v. [Reform of the Elementary and Secondary School in the 1860s]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Sushko A. (2010) Dukhovnye seminarii v poreformennoi Rossii [Theological Seminaries in Post- Reform Russia]. St. Petersburg (in Russian).
- Vessel’ N. (1959) Ocherki ob obshchem obrazovanii i sisteme narodnogo obrazovaniia v Rossii [Essays on Compulsory Education in the System of People’s Education in Russia]. Moscow (in Russian).
Information about the author
Grechushkin Dmitriy, priest Student status:
Graduate student; Student status:
Graduate student; Place of study:
SS Cyril and Methodius theological institute of post-graduate studies; 4/2 Pyatnitskaya Str., Moscow 115035, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-3724-926X