In 1970 the Patriarchate of Moscow gives autocephaly to Orthodox Church in America. This event is not suﬃ ciently reﬂected in the literature and many documents on this subject are not available. On materials of Russian and foreign archives some details of granting of autocephaly is shown. In particular, the Patriarchate of Moscow for a long time was refusing from reconciliation with North American metropolia on its terms. In the end of 1960s the situation did not change. The Patriarchate of Moscow began to fear that North American metropolia will draw together with Ecumenical Patriarch Aphinogor. In these conditions Church authority of Moscow had make concessions of North American metropolia. Besides, after antichurch reforms of Khrushchev Patriarchate of Moscow can’t support its American parishes. The guidance of Russian Church believed that giving these parishes to American Church solved ﬁ nancial problems.
Orthodox Church in America, the Patriarchate of Moscow, Patriarch Aphinogor, Patriarch Alexis the First, Metropolitan Irinaeus (Bekish), Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov), Archpriest A. Shmeman, Protopresbyter I. Maindorf.
1. Gurevich A. 2008 “Opyt sozdanija vremennoj samostojatel'noj arhiepiskopii Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi Francii i Zapadnoj Evropy: uroki istorii” (Experience of Creating of Temporary Independent Archdiocese of Orthodox Church of France and Western Europe: History Lessons), in Problemy istorii Russkogo zarubezh'ja: Materialy i issledovanija, Moscow, 2008, vol. 2, pp. 135–152.
2. Pavel (Fokin), archim. (ed.) Zhiznennyj put' arhiepiskopa Vashingtonskogo i Aljaskinskogo Antonina (Pokrovskogo), ego lichnye vospominanija i perepiska (Life Way of Archbishop of Washington and Alaska Antonin (Pokrovskij), His Personal Memories and Correspondence), Moscow, 2007.
3. Kostrjukov A. Russkaja Zarubezhnaja Cerkov' v 1925–1938 gg. Jurisdikcionnye konflikty i otnoshenija s moskovskoj cerkovnoj vlast'ju (Russian Church Abroad in 1925–1938. Jurisdictional Conflicts and Relations with Moscow Church Autorities), Moscow, 2011.
4. Kostrjukov A. A. (ed.) 2012 “L. N. Parijskij o cerkovnoj situacii v Amerike v seredine 1940-h gg.” (L. N. Parijskij about Church Situation in America in Middle of 1940s), in Vestnik PSTGU. Ser. II: Istorija. Istorija Russkoj Pravoslavnoj Cerkvi, 2012, vol. 6/49, pp. 65–118.
5. Russkaja Pravoslavnaja Cerkov' v Severnoj Amerike. Istoricheskaja spravka (Russian Orthodox Churhc in North America. Historical Inquiry), Dzhordanvill', 1954.
6. Skurat K. Istorija Pomestnyh Pravoslavnyh Cerkvej (History of Local Orthodox Churches), Moscow, 1994, vol. 2.
7. Juvenalij, mitr. Chelovek Cerkvi (Man of Church), Moscow, 1998.