L. M. Lopatin’s egology in the context of polemics with V. S. Soloviev
Dobrokhotov Aleksandr (2020)
"L. M. Lopatin’s egology in the context of polemics with V. S. Soloviev ",
Vestnik Pravoslavnogo Sviato-Tikhonovskogo gumanitarnogo universiteta.
Seriia I : Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie
pp. 45-59 (in Russian).
DOI of the paper: 10.15382/sturI202088.45-59
This article deals with the philosophical controversy of L. Lopatin and Vl. Soloviev. According to Soloviev, Descartes mixed the pure subject of thought and the empirical subject, which created a “bastard”, a spiritual substance that coincides with a pure mind and with the individual being. In fact, says Soloviev, “I am always conscious of myself as the subject of mental states or emotions, and never as their substance. Thus, on the basis of existing reality there is no reason to ascribe to the subject of consciousness as such a diff erent reality than phenomenological”. Lopatin quite convincingly defends Descartes and criticises Soloviev’s “phenomenism”. Specifi cally, he notes that Soloviev’s dichotomy of the “empirical person” and “pure subject of thought” is not comprehensive. He suggests a third way of understanding Self as subjective consciousness that is “present in all stages of spiritual growth”. Important aspects of Lopatin’s egology are revealed in a dispute with E. N. Trubetskoy. Trubetskoy distinguishes “hypostasis” and “substance” as a kind of dynamic Self and static Self. This reasoning gives Lopatin the opportunity to once again formulate his concept of Self and show its closeness to Soloviev’s basic views. In contrast to the dispute with Soloviev, the dispute with Trubetskoy sets up a trinitarian context for egology, which extracts thinking about oneself out of the Cartesian “landscape” and opens up horizons for patristics. These discussions became the crossroads of the future paths of Russian personalism.
egology, spiritual substance, hypostasis, person, Russian personalism
- Antonov K. (2013) “L. M. Lopatin: problema very i razuma v kontekste filosofi i religii” [L. M. Lopatin: Problem of faith and reason in context of philosophy of religion], in Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin. Moscow. Pp. 181–196 (in Russian).
- Bekker M. (2003) “‘Ia’ u Solovieva i Dekarta” [“I” in Soloviev’s and Descartes’ Thought], in Minuvshee i neprekhodiashchee v zhizni i tvorchestve V. S. Solovieva [The past and eternal in life and work of V. S. Soloviev]. St Petersburg (in Russian).
- Bezanson A. (2002) Izvrashchenie dobra: Soloviev i Oruell [Perversion of the good: Soloviev and Orwell]. Мoscow (in Russian).
- Borisova I. (1996) “Primechaniia” [“Commentary”], in L. M. Lopatin. Aksiomy filosofii. Izbrannye stat’i [Axioms of philosophy. Selected articles]. Moscow. Pp. 464–547 (in Russian).
- Ehlen P. (1999) “‘Impersonalismus’ und die ‘werdende Vernunft der Wahrheit’ in Solov’evs Spätphilosophie”. Studies in East European Thought, 51, 3, pp. 155–175.
- Ermishin O. (1999) “L. M. Lopatin protiv V. S. Solovieva (k istorii odnogo spora)” [L. M. Lopatin versus V. S. Soloviev (to the history of one controversy)], in Istoriia filosofii, 4. Moscow. Pp. 44–57 (in Russian).
- Frank S. (1996) Russkoe mirovozzrenie [Russian worldview]. St Petersburg (in Russian).
- Gaidenko P. (2001) Vladimir Soloviev i filosofiia Serebrianogo veka [Vladimir Soloviev and philosophy of the Silver Age]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Lopatin L. (1995) “Dekart kak osnovatel` novogo fi losofskogo i nauchnogo mirosozertsaniia” [Descartes as founder of new philosophical and scientifi c worldview], in L. M. Lopatin. Aksiomy filosofii. Izbrannye stat’i [Axioms of philosophy. Selected articles]. Moscow. Pp. 17–38 (in Russian).
- Lopatin L. (1996) “Vopros o real`nom edinstve soznaniia” [Problem of real wholeness of consciousness”], in L M. Lopatin. Aksiomy filosofii. Izbrannye stat’i [Axioms of philosophy. Selected articles]. Moscow. Pp. 203–238 (in Russian).
- Losev A. (1990) Vladimir Soloviev i ego vremia [Vladimir Soloviev and his time]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Molchanov V. (2009) “Ia-Forma v filosofii prizrachnogo soznaniia Vladimira Solovieva” [I-Form in Soloviev’s philosophy of ghost consciousness], in Issledovaniia po istorii russkoi mysli: Ezhegodnik za 2006–2007 god [Studies in history of Russian thought: 2006–2007]. Moscow. Pp. 240–309 (in Russian).
- Molchanov V. (2013) “L. M. Lopatin: opyt, prichinnost’ i ‘nashe’ ia. Problemy i terminy” [L. M. Lopatin: Experience, causality and ‘our’ self. Problems and terminology], in Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin. Moscow. Pp. 157–180 (in Russian).
- Motroshilova N. (1997) “Razmezhevanie s Dekartom v russkoi fi losofi i Serebrianogo veka (Vl. Soloviev i S. Frank)” [Separation from Descartes in Russian philosophy of the Silver Age (Vl. Soloviev and S. Frank)], in Bessmertie filosofskikh idei Dekarta [Immortality of Descartes’ philosophical ideas]. Moscow. Pp. 143–159 (in Russian).
- Motroshilova N. (1999) “Obshchefi losofskie idei russkoi mysli” [Shared philosophical context of Russian thought”], in Istoriia filosofii: Zapad-Rossiia-Vostok. 3. Filosofiia XIX–XX v. [History of philosophy: West — Russia — East. 3. Philosophy of the 19th — 20th centuries]. Moscow. Pp. 257–284 (in Russian).
- Nosov A. (1995) “Istoriia i sud`ba ‘Mirosozertsaniia Vl. S. Solovieva’” [History and fate of ‘Vl. Soloviev’s worldview’], in E. N. Trubetskoi. Mirosozertsanie Vl. S. Solovieva [Vl. S. Soloviev’s worldview], vol. 2. Moscow. Pp. 585‒593 (in Russian).
- Oittinen V. (2003) “Solov’ёvs Letzte Philosophie—Eine Annäherung an Kant?”. Studies in East European Thought, 55, 2, pp. 97–114.
- Polovinkin S. (2005) “Vl. Soloviev i L. M. Lopatin: eshche odin primer druzhby-vrazhdy” [Vl. Soloviev and L. M. Lopatin: One more example of friendship and antagonism], in Vl. Soloviev i kul’tura Serebrianogo veka [Vl. Soloviev and Culture of the Silver Age]. Moscow. Pp. 371‒377 (in Russian).
- Polovinkin S. (2013) “Spor o substantsiiakh i o svobode mezhdu V. S. Solovievym i L. M. Lopatinym” [Discussion on substances and freedom between V. S. Soloviev and L. M. Lopatin], in Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin. Moscow. Pp. 80–123 (in Russian).
- Polovinkin S. (2013) “Spor o substantsiiakh mezhdu L. M. Lopatinym i kn. E. N. Trubetskim po povodu istolkovaniia naslediia V. S. Solovieva” [Discussion on substances between L. M. Lopatin and E. N. Trubetskoy in connection to interpretation of Vl. Soloviev’s heritage], in Lev Mikhailovich Lopatin. Moscow. Pp. 124–138 (in Russian).
- Rezvykh T. (2016) “Evoliutciia poniatiia vremeni v russkom leibnitseanstve: A. A. Kozlov, L. M. Lopatin i S. A. Askol’dov” [Evolution of the notion of time in Russian Leibnizianism: A. A. Kozlov, L. M. Lopatin and S. A. Askol’dov]. Filosofskie nauki, 12, pp. 59‒72 (in Russian).
- Rezvykh T. (2019) “Vil’gel’m Shtern: Personalizm, organizm, teleologiia” [Wilhelm Stern: Personalism, organism, teleology]. Vestnik PSTGU. Seriia I: Bogoslovie. Filosofiia. Religiovedenie, 85, pp. 73‒87 (in Russian).
- Rozhdenie personalizma iz dukha Novogo vremeni: Sbornik statei po genealogii bogoslovskogo personalizma v Rossii (2018) [The birth of personalism from the spirit of the Modern Age: Papers on genesis of theological personalism in Russia]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Shpet G. (1994) “Soznanie i ego sobstvennik” [Consciousness and its Owner], in G. G. Shpet. Filosofskie etiudy [Philosophical essays]. Moscow. Pp. 20–116 (in Russian).
- Soloviev V. (1988) “Opravdanie dobra” [Justifi cation of the good”], in V. S. Soloviev. Sochineniia v dvukh tomakh [Works in two volumes], vol. 1. Moscow. Pp. 47–580 (in Russian).
- Soloviev V. (1988) “Teoreticheskaia filosofiia” [Theoretical philosophy], in V. S. Soloviev. Sochineniia v dvukh tomakh [Works in two volumes], vol. 1. Moscow. Pp. 757–831 (in Russian).
- Soloviev V. S. (1997) “Lichnost”. “Individual’nost`”. “Men-de-Biran”. “Osob’” [Person. Individuality. Maine de Biran. Individual], in Filosofskii slovar Vladimira Solovieva [Vladimir Soloviev’s philosophical dictionary]. Rostov-na-Donu (in Russian).
- Swiderski E. (2000) “Vladimir Solov’ëv’s ‘virtue epistemology’”. Sotsiologicheskii zhurnal, 1‒2, pp. 164‒179 (Russian translation).
- Swiderski E. (1999) “Vladimir Solov’ёv’s ‘Virtue Epistemology’”. Studies in East European Thought, 51, 3, pp. 199–218.
- Trubetskoi E. (1995) Mirosozertsanie Vl. S. Solovieva [Vl. S. Soloviev’s worldview]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Trubetskoi S. (1994) Sochineniia [Works]. Moscow (in Russian).
- Wenzler L. (1978) Die Freiheit und das Böse nach Vladimir Solov‘ev. Freiburg; München.
Information about the author
Dobrokhotov Aleksandr Academic Degree:
Doctor of Sciences*
in Philosophy; Academic Rank:
Professor; Place of work:
National Research University Higher School of Economics; 21/4 Staraya Basmannaya, Moscow 105066, Russian Federation; ORCID: 0000-0002-5818-2455
*According to ISCED 2011, a post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences (D.Sc.) is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates.