The paper is devoted to a critical analysis of one of the newest trends of modern Anglo-American freethinking. It is called “new atheism”. The most known spokesmen of this trend are R. Dawkins, D. Dennett, S. Harris and Ch. Hitchens. Theology and Christian philosophy place high emphasis on the critique of the “new atheism”. One of the most talked-about critics of this trend is A. McGrath. The author of the paper notes that some of speciﬁc theological criticisms are just. Among them are the critique of the meme-theory and the lack of reﬂection of the “new atheism” on itself. At the same time the author of the paper demonstrates that some theses of the theological critics are insuﬃciently grounded. For example, theological critics are rather premature in their conclusions about bringing the “new atheism” into line with L. Feuerbach and K. Marx. The author believes that the ideas of the “new atheism”, as well as the method and the style of expression of its viewpoints are much more successfully integrated in one line with the ideas of such atheists as Bertrand Russell, than a number of the creators of really new ideas of freethinking. In addition, the “new atheism” is also close to the radical wing of the US freethinking of the early 20th century graphically represented by the ideas of R.G. Ingersoll. The author points to the desire of the “new atheists” as well as their critics to simplify the views held by the opposite side. This desire often leads to misinterpretation of the logic of thoughtin both the “new atheists” and their opponents.
Christian apologetics, critique of the «new atheism», meme theory, science and religion, theism and atheism, R. Dawkins, D. Dennett, S. Harris, Ch. Hitchens, A. McGrath, J. F. Haught.
1. Gol'dberg N. M. Svobodomyslie i ateizm v SShA (XVIII–XIX vv.) (Free Thinking and Atheism in USA (XVIII–XIX Cent.)), Moscow, 1965.
2. Dzhems U. Mnogoobrazie religioznogo opyta (Variety of Religious Experience), Moscow, 2012.
3. Novaja filosofskaja jenciklopedija (New Philosophical Encyclopedia), Moscow, 2010, vol. 1.
4. Tazhurizina Z. A. 2006 “Ateizm” (Atheism), in Religiovedenie: Jenciklopedicheskij slovar', Moscow, 2006.
5. Jaroshevskij T. M. 1969 “Ateizm poterjannyh i neukorenennyh: Ocherki ob ateizme Zhana-Polja Sartra” (Atheism of Lost and Non Conquered: Essays in Atheism of Jean-Paul Sartre), in Ot Jerazma Rotterdamskogo do Bertrana Rassela: Problemy burzhuaznogo gumanizma i svobodomyslija, Moscow, 1969.
6. Allen N. 2007 “In Defence of Radicalism”, in Free Inquiry, 2007, vol. 27/4, pp. 52–53.
7. Aronson R. Living without God: New Direction for Atheists, Agnostics, Secularists and the Undecided, Berkley, 2008.
8. Blackman E. A Jewish response to modern Atheism, in www.oxfordshabad.org/templates/blog/post_cdo/AID/708481/PostID/24832 (Date: 16.08.2015).
9. Clark S. 2007 “Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion or the Dawkins Delusion?”, in Foundations, 2007, vol. 57, pp. 37–42.
10. Day V. The Irrational Atheist: Dissecting The Unholy Trinity of Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, Dallas, 2008.
11. Dowd M. Thanks God For the New Atheists!, in http://thegreatstory.org/new-atheists.pdf (Date: 12.08.2015).
12. Feser E. The Last Superstition: A Refutation of the New Atheism, South Bent, 2008.
13. Gallagher M. P. 2012 “Revisiting the «New Atheism»”, in Studies: An Irish Quarterly Review, 2012, vol. 101/401, pp. 57–68.
14. Gould S. J. Rocks of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life, New York, 1999.
15. Griffith-Thomas W. H. The Principles of Theology, London, 1930.
16. Haught J. F. God and the New Atheism: A Critical Response to Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens, Louisville, 2008.
17. Haught J. God After Darwin: A Theology of Evolution, New York, 1999
18. Jinn B. Illogical Atheism: A Comprehensive Response to the Contemporary Freethinker from a Lapsed Agnostic, New York, 2013.
19. Kaufman W. E. A Jewish Philosophical Response to the New Atheists: Dawkins, Dennett, Harris and Hitchens, New York, 2014.
20. Kurtz P. 2007 “Are «Evangelical Atheists» Too Outspoken?”, in Free Inquiry, 2007, vol. 27/4–5.
21. Marshall D. The Truth Behind the New Atheism: Responding to the Emerging Challenges to God and Christianity, Oregon, 2007.
22. McGrath A. E. Dawkins’ God: Genes, Memes and the Meanings of Live, Oxford, 2007.
23. McGrath A. E. 2012 “Transcendence and God: Reflections on Critical Realism, the «New Atheism» and Christian Theology”, in Hartwig M., Morgan J. (eds.) Critical Realism and Spirituality: Theism, Atheism, and Meta-Reality, London, 2012.
24. McGrath A. E. Why God Won’t Go Away: Engaging with the New Atheism, London, 2011.
25. McGrath A. E., McGrath J. C. The Dawkins Delusion? Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine, Downer Grove, 2007.
26. Mohler A. The New Atheism and the Dogma of Darwinism, in http://www.albertmohler.com/2011/02/07/the-new-atheism-and-the-dogma-of-darwinism (Date: 15.08.2015).
27. Gilson T., Weitnauer C. (eds.) True Reason: Christian Responses to the Challenge of Atheism, Colorado, 2012.