The author presents an analysis of an empirical research concerning religion in the worldview of atheists, representatives of today’s youth. She focuses on the results obtained from studying their values and conceptions, emotional attitudes towards religion displayed by atheists and their behavior in religious context. The ﬁndings of the research have shown that the values that characterize the representatives of the group under study are subjective and nominative; that their conceptions of religion are characterized by superﬁciality and lack of system; that their emotional attitude can be deﬁned as self-distancing and equanimity. The behavior of many atheists is predetermined by some kind of religious experience in the past, from which they would like to distance themselves. Among today’s young people, there are those who identify themselves as atheists, but their attitude towards religion is spontaneous and fragmentary, based on an experience of superﬁcial religious enculturation.
religion, atheists, values, conceptions, emotions, behavior
1. Vicenko V. O. Obraz vremeni u predstavitelej razlichnyh religioznyh konfessij. Dis. … kand. psihol. nauk (Image of Time by Representatives of Different Religions. Dissertation), Moscow, 2005.
2. Golovanova T. N. Formirovanie celostnogo ponimanija i ob’jasnenija dejstvitel'nosti cherez religioznoe i nereligioznoe otnoshenie k miru (na primere studentov-pedagogov). Dis. … kand. psihol. nauk (Formatin of Whole Understanding and Explanation of Reality through Religious and Non-Religious Attitude to the World (on Example of Pedagogical Students)), Joshkar-Ola, 2004.
3. Maljavina S. S. 2012 “Religioznaja kompetentnost' predstavitelej sovremennoj molodezhi, identificirujushhih sebja v kachestve pravoslavnyh hristian” (Religious Competence of Representatives of Modern Youth, Identifying Itself as Orthodox Christians), in Izvestija Smolenskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta, 2012, vol. 1, pp. 250–259.
4. Maljavina S. S. 2014 “Osobennosti jemocional'nogo otnoshenija k religioznoj kul'ture v srede sovremennoj molodezhi (kross-kul'turnoe issledovanie)” (Features of Emotional Attitude to Religious Culture in Sphere of Modern Youth), in Sibirskij psihologicheskij zhurnal, 2014, vol. 52, pp. 115–128.
5. Mchedlov M. P. 1998 “O religioznosti rossijskoj molodezhi” (About Religious Russian Youth), in Sociologicheskie issledovanija, 1998, vol. 6, pp. 107–111.